Friday, October 1, 2010

Theme Day: Graffiti

This month's theme is "graffiti."  I was not planning to participate because, frankly, Hartford doesn't have much graffiti and what I see isn't very interesting.

But, Wednesday morning, I read an article about a "graffiti artist" who performs his "art" at an out-of-the-way skateboard park over Route 84 in downtown Hartford.  (The quotations disclose my biases, but, hey, it is my blog!)

So, I visited the park.  I thought it was pretty funny.  The City has installed neat plywood panels, painted white, at the base of some utilitarian structures (probably large ventilation shafts for the highway passing underneath).  This artist has decorated the panels.  It seems like pretty establishment graffiti, but I guess the city and the artist have achieved a truce.  They give him a space and he confines the mess to those panels.

Click here to view thumbnails for all participants

2 comments:

B SQUARED said...

An amicable truce for all concerned.

Halcyon said...

Better to give them an outlet for their creativity!