Monday, June 16, 2014

XL Center Murals


This is one of the entrances to the XL Center, where pro hockey, UConn basketball, the circus, Disney shows and other events are held.  But, it is aging.  $35 million in renovations will start soon.

These huge murals from the 1960s are by Harlem Renaissance artist Romare Bearden.
They don't fit with the renovations, so they have to go.
An appraisal came back recently, valuing them at $4.2 million, shocking everyone.
They are being moved to the Hartford Public Library.

Linked to Monday Murals.

While we are on the subject of huge murals, here is The Princess of the Dream
a room-size 1896 mural by M. A. Vrubel in Moscow's Tretyakov Gallery.


14 comments:

Kate said...

A worldwide appreciation for murals. . .well, we have some things in common!

Andy said...

The appraisal has also shocked me!

Karl said...

What a difference! :)

Luis Gomez said...

Really interesting.

Malyss said...

I prefer the second kind .

Randy said...

Love the murals in the first shot.

Tanya Breese said...

holy moly! i really like them though, very vibrant!

Jackie McGuinness said...

Thank goodness they are being saved.

Sylvia K said...

I'm so glad they're being saved, too!! Great captures for the day, Jack, as always!! Hmmmm $4.2 million, huh!!! WOW!!

RedPat said...

They will look good in the library!

jennyfreckles said...

THAT much? Geesh. That would go a long way towards the renovation, I imagine, though I guess they won't be allowed to sell them.

Kay said...

Wow! Good that they had Bearden's murals appraised & I'm glad it's shown to have value.
The Princess of the Dream is lovely.

Oakland Daily Photo said...

I didn't know Bearden did murals. I think they're fantastic and thought they were by Stuart Davis or someone like that. How will they remove and relocate them? Tells us if you find out. The mechanics of that process fascinate me. Thanks for contributing to this week's Monday Mural.

William Kendall said...

I think I prefer the second mural, but it's good that the first will live on in library space.

I'm assuming the XL Centre name is yet another one of those tacky corporate branding rights things that infest too many buildings these days.