Sunday, May 15, 2016

Ave Maria

I have had a home in southwest Florida for almost a decade, but had never been to Ave Maria before.
Ave Maria is a Catholic community centered on a huge church (the Oratory) and university.
It is the brainchild of Tom Monaghan, founder of Domino's Pizza and an ardent Catholic.



Ave Maria is way the heck out there, in remote eastern Collier County.
Twenty miles beyond U.S. Route 75, on ever more desolate roads.


The law school is in a far more accessible location, 20 miles west, just off the highway.

12 comments:

Andy said...

I have seen a lot of churches in my day but never one like this one.

Sharon said...

That church is amazing. I had never heard of this place before.

William Kendall said...

Massive and modern. I haven't seen churches like this before.

RedPat said...

Impressive church, Jack!

Michelle said...

RedPat is right, this is an impressive church.

Bob Crowe said...

Is it supposed to look like a bishop's mitre? 'Cause it sure does.

SRQ said...

I had no idea Tom Monaghan had such a significant connection to Ave Maria. Interesting!

Kay said...

Wow! That's an amazing interior. Come to think of it, the exterior's pretty amazing, too. And I agree with Bob Crowe. It look's like a bishop's mitre.

Karl said...

Amazing building, Jack, I've never seen a church like this before !

Taken For Granted said...

Most impressive church with modern architectural style. How could you not look up in this church?

Bill said...

That is a beautiful looking church. It looks like it would hold quite a number of people.

jennyfreckles said...

Massive church, though I'm not sure I altogether like it.